Friday, November 4, 2016

Star Bores.

I am a proud member of my local Starfleet chapter. When I first heard that a new Star Trek film would be created back in 2009 I must say I had my reservations. After all who but the legendary Bill Shatner could take the role of James T Kirk to such heights of acting brilliance? I however did not do what some of my comrades did; protested and shunned a film before seeing it. These reactions are to be expected at ensign rank, but even my superiors held staunch to their resistance.

 I on the other hand upheld my commitment to the federation charter and reserved judgement until the credits rolled. I marched off to the theater, as any commander worth his pips would do, and watched. I left entertained with buttered fingers and a much needed hypospray of hope for the future of an alternate timeline that left the original series and events unscathed. I won't speak of "Into the Darkness" nor "Beyond." as those titles, though worth mention and review, are not the focus of this particular post.

Word then came of a continuation of the Star Wars franchise that would release in 2015. Again, I was reserved, but not nearly as much as I had been with the reboot of Star Trek. Maybe it was because I saw and enjoyed JJ's treatment of the Trekiverse and had a "New Hope", even though my memories of the last 3/first 3 in the Star Wars series left a bitter taste. Again, I went off with an open mind...sigh...

I left the theater with buttered fingers, but a grim vision of tomorrow. For those of you who have not yet seen the newest entry entitled "The Force Awakens" I would not dissuade you from viewing. Star Wars is a franchise like the Red Sox, you watch them good or bad, it is worthy of the fans support even in the dark days of Binks. That said. I was not at all impressed.

Unlike the treatment of Trek, this film for me personally gutted my childhood and showed me my entrails while I choked on a mouthful of buttery delight. For years this franchise has sadly slipped into a watered down toy grind from which I fear it may never return. It has catered to the lowest common denominator, shallow action scenes and nostalgia rhetoric. God though it was grand to see Han and Chewy again...

Now the series is again jumping, this time to events between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. The nostalgia bomb for this insertion is the Vader teaser (and the Death Star of course). The question that haunts me is; will Rogue One bring balance to the force, or just line Mickey Mouses filthy pockets with gold? We shall see...we shall see...






No comments:

Post a Comment