Thursday, November 10, 2016

Netflix...sigh...

I remember the day it happened as clear as any trauma thus far received. I came home from work and went for the fridge, quite parched from my travels; I wished to indulge in the liquid gold of tradition MD. However, it would appear that one of the children thought it was beneath their effort to fully twist the milk cap before placing a nearly filled gallon on its side atop the center shelf. A cascade of 2% indifference had poured down, shelf to shelf, collecting at the base of the fridge door and within the two bins at the bottom. Although, I must point out the uncommon act of consideration on behalf of whomever was responsible (to this day, the culprit remains unnamed), as they did kick a towel underneath the fridge door to soak up the milk as it spilled out. As considerate an act as this was, no one considered the wisdom in righting the milk.

A long story short, I took my drink with grim resolve and went off to find a means of alleviating my growing ire. I sat at my PC and fired up my Netflix account. There was only one place to go, only one show that had the right combination of mind bending plots and fun and lovable campy characters to offer an escape so desperately needed. That show was, is and always will be the timeless Doctor Who. For those of you who have had limited contact with the BBC, allow me to fill you in.


The "Doctor" is a time and space travelling alien who enlist the help of humans in his zany exploration of the universe. He travels in a time machine called a TARDIS (acronym for Time And Relative Dimension In Space), which has been locked into the form of a blue police call box due to damage to its chameleon circuit in 1963. He overcomes other worldly threats through wit and cleverness vs violent action. I would highly recommend you watch it for yourselves if you haven't already, just not on Netflix; BECAUSE THEY DECIDED TO PULL THE SHOW FROM THEIR LIBRARY OUT OF THE F-ING TARDIS BLUE!!! As terrible an event as the removal of Doctor Who was, it is just one of a large number of shows, films and cartoon series that Netflix routinely yanks.

Time and time again I click upon my Netflix Icon name "Roundroller1" and with fear I then click the search box, worried about who I'll lose next? Will it be Star Trek TOS? Will it be the guilty pleasure of "The Vampire Diaries?" Who knows? Netflix treats its programming like the Walking Dead treats its characters; nobody is safe...except the Netflix Originals. Yes, its all coming together now. Every few weeks a new one appears and an old stand by fades from sight. Is it jealous? Fear of an uneven hand? If Doctor Who, a fan favorite since the dawn of modern televised entertainment, is one glorious click away, then how will Netflix Original "comedy gold" such as "The Do Over" with Adam Sandler fair? Yes Netflix I'm beginning to see your hand...

In addition to this, Netflix removed the use of addons that allowed a savvy consumer to view their content as though from another region. In England you bet your trousers they have Doctor Who available, as well as Red Dwarf and all the Monty Python and Mr Bean one can stomach. So this begs the question; why?

Why Netflix do you tease and take away? It made me think of our dog and how I used to find it amusing to tease him with a slice of pizza, chuckling as I drew back again and again, each time taking a bite and laughing riotously...ignorantly... I see now that I am the dog and Netflix is the Large Sized American taunting me with a denied slice of entertainment. As soon as I realized this, I ordered a second large meat lovers pizza to share with my old friend. Netflix, what is your end game? Will you replace all the shows we know and love with your so called "originals"? Will you continue to pull out right at the moment of perceived satisfaction? Only time will tell...


No comments:

Post a Comment